Our vision for sport is twofold - to increase the breadth of our programme and provide girls with the greatest variety of activities possible while aiming for excellence with our competitive teams. Above all, we are keen that every girl at Wimbledon High will find a sport or physical activity that she will enjoy for life.
Our sports facilities are based at Nursery Road, the original home of the Lawn Tennis Association. Whilst this association brings with it a wonderful sense of heritage and prestige, it has also left us with a building that is no longer fit for purpose or able to support our growing sports provision – our much neglected and outdated Sports Pavilion. We wanted to restore the building to its former glory, making its changing rooms fit for purpose, upgrading the catering facilities and reorganising the overall space so that it will be welcoming and useful for girls, parents, visitors and staff in the generations to come.
We launched our appeal for funds to redevelop the site in 2014 and were delighted to receive planning permission for the project in Spring 2015. Thanks to the support of our parents, alumnae and local community we reached our fundraising target by July 2015 and work began in November.
On Saturday 25th June the WHS community was joined by representatives from the All England Club, the Girls’ Day School Trust and the local community to celebrate the re-opening of our sports pavilion at Nursery Road. The site of the original Championships from 1877 to 1922, the pavilion has been extensively reconfigured and facilities upgraded.
With 150 people in attendance, including Ulrika Hogberg, Foundation & Community Manager of the AELTC (and key supporter of the project), the Mayor of Merton, Councillor Brenda Fraser, cut the ribbon and wished the school every success, while two Wimbledon High tennis players, Hannah and Momoko, served the first tennis balls of this new era for sport at the grounds.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.